Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Too Many Irons




Ever wonder where sayings come from? This phrase jumped to mind when rehashing my to-do list as well as write my IWSG blog post for May...Too Many Irons In The Fire. Are you juggling a ton of issues this spring? And many that are totally unrelated? Here's a sample of my list yesterday:

  • Outline $.99 book
  • Call Alex at auto body shop
  •  Submit promo to Bookbub
  • Look up Google keywords
  • Need brighter flowers on front door wreath
  • Change blurb book #2, Partly Sunny
  • Lynda.com - tutorials
  • Interview - The Author Show
  • Have wash dryer fixed
  • IWSG post
  • Need milk
  • Call Uverse

       This is roughly one-quarter of my list. I’m an all-over-the-place type of gal, as you can well see. My office is in my home, therefore my home is my office.
·     
Spring has kept me hopping. During winter, if that’s what you call it in Houston, I found it much easier to sit for longer periods of time at the computer. But all the rains (floods) our area received lately has produced the greenest spring in a long time. Something about spring makes me want to get all sorts of things done. Hence, the all-over-the-place list.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m a bit overwhelmed.
“Stay focused,” I order.
“Focused on what?” My alter ego eagerly snarks back.

This post is part of the Insecure Writers Support Group led by none other than the great Alex Cavanaugh. If you would like to share your frustrations, dilemmas, or encouragements with other writers or those aspiring to be writers, please click here.


Final note: need to look up the origin of Spring Cleaning, which seems fairly obvious, but again, who comes up with these phrases? 

Yesterday I scratched off “need milk.” Anyone else have too many irons in the fire?
VENT HERE!



4 comments:

  1. At least you managed to cross something off! I know I spend a good deal of time just spinning my wheels trying to get one thing accomplished, only to dart off to another thing without getting anything done. But your irons sound like fun (except the auto shop, but maybe you can work on your blurb while you're waiting).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Loni! I like your suggestion:) Car in the shop today...have scratched off a few but have another list going...somewhere...

      Delete
  2. I love that you're a late bloomer too. It gives me hope that I might actually get a book published before I turn 60. There always seems to be too many irons in the fire, doesn't there. That's the problem with lists, they remind you about all the stuff you have to do :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I agree with you about the lists...and now I have several lists!
      Don't give up on your dreams. Make it happen. I'm behind you...

      Delete